Objectives of a Thesis
The objective of a final thesis (Abschlussarbeit) of a program (Studiengang) is to demonstrate that you are able to work on a specific topic with scientific methods within a given timeframe. Please refer to the list of open topics for currently available topics. You can also suggest a topic yourself, however you may have to convince us that it is worth undertaking. We may require you to write an exposé beforehand. We usually expect students to give a talk on their thesis in the Oberseminar (preferably in English).
Writing a thesis…
…is similar to writing a seminar work or a paper for a conference and usually follows these steps:
- Start with a working title
- Write a first draft of the paper structure
- Write down as bullet points: What is the message of the paper? What are the main contributions of the paper? -> Discuss with co-authors/fellows/supervisor
- Write the main part(s) -> Discuss
- Improve and write the state of the art -> Discuss
- Last steps: write intro and conclusion
If you are interested in writing your thesis (Bachelor's or Master's thesis as well as Diploma) at our working group, feel free to contact us (Prof. Federrath or any of his research assistants). You may also come to our weekly consultation hour. Before you approach us, we kindly ask you to read the our Guidelines for Theses as they address many frequently asked questions.