Lecture Objectives and Contents
The main goal of the lecture is to give a survey of resilience-enhancing measures for networks and to increase the awareness for security problems arising in networked environments. Participants obtain a comprehensive overview on generic mechanisms to enhance the resilience of networks. Constitutive, the security of basic services of the Internet as well as countermeasures against sophisticated attacks are discussed.
In more details, the lecture will cover the following topics:
- Graph-theoretical foundations
- Network optimization problems
- Protection of critical internet services: routing, DNS
- Denial of service (DoS) attacks and countermeasures
- Intrusion Detection systems (IDS)
- Blockchain and smart contract security
Course Organization and Availability
The course is regularly held in the winter term. Course language is English (on demand).
The lecture is complemented by a seminar that is organized each week alternatingly as reading group and as exercise. In the reading group, participants have to deal with recent research papers in the core ares of the lecture that are given out every two weeks. Participants have to to read these papers and discuss them jointly in the reading group. In the exercise, the participants will solve theoretical, but foremost also practical tasks in the context of the lecture topics.
A successful participation requires to present in the context of the seminar and/or to submit written tasks. The final grade will be determined in an oral exam (20-30 minutes, closed book). All statements without warranty.
- Lecture, Tuesday 10:15 -11:45 am (12. October 2021 - 25. January 2022), hybrid: G021/022 + additionally online
- Seminar / Exercise, Tuesday 8:30 -10 am (19. October 2021 - 25. January 2022), hybrid: G021/022 + additionally online
All material for lecture and seminar/exercise can be found at a Moodle at lernen.min.uni-hamburg.de