The goal of this project is to investigate and exploit the crossmodal interplay between vision and haptics to improve hand-based interaction techniques in immersive virtual environments by novel visual-haptic illusions.
We plan to study techniques based on visual feedback ranging from realistic and congruent visual feedback to hand redirection as used in haptic retargeting or pseudo-haptics (illustrated in the horizontal continuum in Figure 1). Complementarily, in a second step, we plan to focus on investigating how active vibration or kinesthetic feedback and intelligent design of (dynamic) passive haptic proxies can enhance VR interaction (as illustrated in the vertical axis in Figure 1).
Figure 1 shows the visual and haptic feedback continua and the characteristics involved: the circle defines the whole interaction area we want to explore in our project. On the bottom-right, an example use case featuring primarily passive visual feedback with some active visual modifications (i.e. incongruent feedback) involved and full passive haptics without active haptic feedback, as could be seen in a substitutional reality scenario. In passive haptics, the usage of 1-to-1 replications for each touchable virtual object is impractical because it would require modification of the physical prop when the virtual object changes. We aim to investigate how more versatile, dynamically adapting (actuated) and generic proxy objects could be designed that represent a larger set of virtual objects. Following the individual investigations, in a further step, we plan to study the combination of the individual approaches, imaginable as the two-dimensional space spanned by the two continua in Figure 1, i.e. combining actuators in props, active vibration feedback, passive haptic props, and specific visualizations with the goal to enhance the interaction and perception of VEs. In the context of visual-haptic feedback, crossmodal effects are especially interesting and have enormous potential to provide improved experiences and advance HCI in immersive VEs. Research interests here comprise, for example, how visual dominance can be leveraged to induce visual-haptic illusions.
Hamburg Universität (HCI)
- Prof. Dr. Frank Steinicke (steinicke"AT"informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
- Dr. Oscar Javier Ariza Nunez (ariza"AT"informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Saarland University (DFKI)
- Prof. Dr. Antonio Krüger (krueger"AT"dfki.de)
- Dr. André Zenner (andre.zenner"AT"dfki.de)
- Dr. Florian Daiber (florian.daiber"AT"dfki.de)
- A. Zenner, K. Ullmann, O. Ariza, F. Steinicke, and A. Krüger. 2023. Induce a Blink of the Eye: Evaluating Techniques for Triggering Eye Blinks in Virtual Reality. In Proceedings of the 2023 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '23). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 256, 1–12.
- C. Stellmacher, A. Zenner, O. Ariza, E. Kruijff and J. Schöning, 2023. Continuous VR Weight Illusion by Combining Adaptive Trigger Resistance and Control-Display Ratio Manipulation. In IEEE Conference Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (VR), Shanghai, China, 2023, pp. 243-253.
- M. Feick, A. Zenner, S. Seibert, O. Ariza, D. Wagmann, J. H. Keller, A. Wittig, and A. Krüger. 2023. MoVRI: The Museum of Virtual Reality Illusions. Demonstration, DFKI Technical Memos.
- M. Feick, K. P. Regitz, A. Tang, and A. Krüger. 2022. Designing Visuo-Haptic Illusions with Proxies in Virtual Reality: Exploration of Grasp, Movement Trajectory and Object Mass. In Proceedings of the 2022 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '22). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 635, 1–15.
- O. Ariza, A. Zenner, F. Steinicke, F. Daiber, A. Krüger, Holitouch: Conveying Holistic Touch Illusions by Combining Pseudo-Haptics With Tactile and Proprioceptive Feedback During Virtual Interaction With 3DUIs, Frontiers in VR 2022.
- F. Daiber, D. Degraen, A. Zenner, T. Döring, F. Steinicke, O. Ariza, and A. Simeone. 2021. Everyday Proxy Objects for Virtual Reality. In Extended Abstracts of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA '21). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 101, 1–6.
- N. Nilsson, A.Zenner, A. Simeone, D. Degraen, and F. Daiber. 2021. Haptic Proxies for Virtual Reality: Success Criteria and Taxonomy. In Workshop on Everyday Proxy Objects for Virtual Reality at CHI’21, May 8–13, 2021, Yokohama, Japan.
- A. Makhsadov, D. Degraen, A. Zenner, and F. Daiber. 2021. Smart Devices as Proxy Objects for Virtual Reality Position Paper. In Workshop on Everyday Proxy Objects for Virtual Reality at CHI’21, May 8–13, 2021, Yokohama, Japan.
- D. Degraen, M. Schubhan, F. Kosmalla, A. Zenner, and F. Daiber. 2021. Ambient Living Media as Haptic Proxy Interfaces for Virtual Reality. In Workshop on Everyday Proxy Objects for Virtual Reality at CHI’21, May 8–13, 2021, Yokohama, Japan.
- N. Nilsson, A. Zenner, and A. Simeone. 2021. Propping Up Virtual Reality With Haptic Proxies. In IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 104-112, 1 Sept.-Oct. 2021. IEEE.
- A. Zenner, K. Ullmann, A. Krüger, Combining Dynamic Passive Haptics and Haptic Retargeting for Enhanced Haptic Feedback in Virtual Reality, IEEE TVCG, IEEE VR 2021.
- A. Zenner, K. Regitz, A. Krüger, Blink-Suppressed Hand Redirection, IEEE VR 2021.
- M. Feick, N. Kleer, A. Zenner, A. Tang, A. Krüger, Visuo-Haptic Illusions for Linear Translation and Stretching using Physical Proxies in Virtual Reality, ACM CHI 2021.
- A. Zenner, H. Kriegler, A. Krüger, HaRT - The Virtual Reality Hand Redirection Toolkit, ACM CHI 2021.
- O. Ariza, P. Lubos, F. Steinicke, G. Bruder, Ring-shaped Haptic Device with Vibrotactile Feedback Patterns to Support Natural Spatial Interaction. International Conference on Artificial Reality/Telexistence and Eurographics Symposium on VEs (ICAT-EGVE).
- O. Ariza, J.P. Freiwald, N. Laage, M. Feist, M. Salloum, G. Bruder, F. Steinicke. Inducing Body-Transfer Illusions in VR by Providing Brief Phases of Visual-Tactile Stimulation. Proc. ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction (SUI) 2016.
- D. Degraen, A. Zenner, A. Krüger. Enhancing Texture Perception in Virtual Reality Using 3D-Printed Hair Structures. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (ACM CHI). 2019.
- N. Katzakis, J. Tong, O. Ariza, L. Chen, G. Klinker, B. Röder, F. Steinicke. Stylo and Handifact: Modulating Haptic Perception through Visualisations for Posture Training in Augmented Reality. Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction (ACM SUI) 2017.
- A. Zenner, A. Krüger. Shifty: A Weight-Shifting Dynamic Passive Haptic Proxy. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) 2017.
- A. Zenner, A. Krüger. Estimating Detection Thresholds for Desktop-Scale Hand Redirection in Virtual Reality. 2019 IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (IEEE VR) 2019.
- A. Zenner, A. Krüger. Drag:on – A Virtual Reality Controller Providing Haptic Feedback Based on Drag and Weight Shift. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (ACM CHI 2019). 2019.
- J. Freiwald, O. Ariza, O. Janeh, F. Steinicke. Walking by Cycling: A Novel In-Place Locomotion User Interface for Seated Virtual Reality Experiences. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2020.
- F. Steinicke, H. Benko, A. Krüger, D. Keefe, J.-B. de la Rivière, K. Anderson, J. Häkkilä, L. Arhippainen, M. Pakanen. The 3rd dimension of CHI (3DCHI): Touching and Designing 3D User Interfaces, Workshop. ACM CHI 2012.