The IRZ offers hosting of virtualized servers and test machines via VMware. The service is generally offered for all Informatics working groups and projects, as long as the machines are used for university, non-commercial tasks. In exceptional cases (e.g. for temporary projects), students can also use this service when a departmental employee takes responsibility.
Operation of virtual machines
Basically, a virtual system has to be administered like a physical system!
- The responsible persons must ensure regular system maintenance (patches, firewall), especially if servers are accessible from outside the IT network!
- The IRZ reserves the right to shut down unmaintained or otherwise suspicious systems!
- Snapshots are no substitute for backups; use them temporarily only
- Large data should, as far as possible, be kept outside a virtual machine.
- If the basic installation is done by the IRZ, an administrative account will be set up for emergency use by the IRZ.
- If the VM is installed by the applicant / person responsible, an administrative acocunt must be set up for emergency use the IRZ.
Applying for a virtual machine
Applications must be submitted to the IRZ in writing and informally. They should contain the following information:
- Applicant and responsible person(s)
- Start / end of use
- Purpose of the machine
- Planned operating system (e.g. Windows Server(*), Ubuntu 64-bit)
- Basic installation required?
- Resource requirements (main memory, disk, other?)
- Desired machine name (otherwise assigned by the iRZ)
- If necessary, request accessible ports with the FWL request form (accessible from intranet only).
- Required specific users/groups
- Other requests
- Some services/servers should not be virtualized, e.g. multimedia applications, massive I/O, high computing power!
- (*) Systems may only be activated after license billing has been completed!
- Licensing questions (e.g. Windows) must always be clarified; new licenses for OS and additional software may have to be billed.
- Systems should always be integrated into the INFORMATIK domain.
- VMware tools should always be installed.