Informatics VPN on macOS
The access to the VPN server of the IT department can be configured under macOS (status 10.11 El Capitan - 10.14 Mojave) without additional software via the system preferences "Network".
Configure as new service:
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP over IPSec
- Service Name: to be chosen by you, e.g.
- The server address of the Informatics VPN server is:
- Account name refers to your Informatics account (e.g.
9user). If you leave this field blank, your username will be requested every time a connection is established.
- User authentication by password; either enter it here or leave it blank; then the password will be requested every time a connection is established,
- Machine authentication by key ("Shared Secret"):
- Select the Options tab: Check Send all traffic over VPN connection in case you need this.
- Select the DNS tab: Enter
informatik.uni-hamburg.dein the Search Domains field.
To finish click Apply.
You can download detailed, illustrated instructions (in German) at: